What are some strengths of autism?
Autistic people may display a range of strengths and abilities that can be directly related to their diagnosis, including:
- Learning to read at a very early age (known as hyperlexia).
- Memorising and learning information quickly.
- Thinking and learning in a visual way.
- Logical thinking ability.
Does autism affect strength?
This is particularly important as we knew from previous studies that people with autism tend to have poorer muscular strength and endurance than is typical for their age.
Do kids with autism have special talents?
Special skills typically fall into a narrow range of areas. A recent study2 suggested that more than 70% of autistic children and adults had a special isolated skill in memory (52% of the sample), visuo‐spatial abilities (32%), calculation, drawing or music (about 17% for each area).
What should you avoid if your child has autism?
Someone with autism may be sensitive to the taste, smell, color and texture of foods. They may limit or totally avoid some foods and even whole food groups. Dislikes may include strong flavored foods, fruits and vegetables or certain textures such as slippery or soft foods.
Do kids with autism have low muscle tone?
Low Muscle Tone: About 30 percent of children with autism have moderate to severe loss of muscle tone, which can limit their gross and fine motor skills. Pain: Some people with autism have very high pain thresholds (insensitivity to pain), while others have very low pain thresholds.
How do autistic students learn best?
Some autistic children will learn reading more easily with phonics, and others will learn best by memorizing whole words.
Does autism affect movement?
The movement problems vary from person to person, but most people with autism have some difficulty coordinating their movements — such as turning their head while reaching for an object — as well as trouble with balance.
Does autism come from the mother or father?
The team found that mothers passed only half of their structural variants on to their autistic children—a frequency that would be expected by chance alone—suggesting that variants inherited from mothers were not associated with autism. But surprisingly, fathers did pass on substantially more than 50% of their variants.
What are the main traits of a person with autism?
Main signs of autism
- finding it hard to understand what others are thinking or feeling.
- getting very anxious about social situations.
- finding it hard to make friends or preferring to be on your own.
- seeming blunt, rude or not interested in others without meaning to.
- finding it hard to say how you feel.
How can you tell if a girl has autism?
Social communication and interaction symptoms
- inability to look at or listen to people.
- no response to their name.
- resistance to touching.
- a preference for being alone.
- inappropriate or no facial gestures.
- inability to start a conversation or keep one going.