The BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) is an effective way to reintroduce food after vomiting. These bland foods can help children ease into normal eating. Once these bland foods are tolerated, then a normal diet can gradually be reintroduced.
What can I give my baby to stop vomiting?
For the first twenty-four hours or so of any illness that causes vomiting, keep your child off solid foods, and encourage her to suck or drink small amounts of electrolyte solution (ask your pediatrician which one), clear fluids such as water, sugar water (1/2 teaspoon [2.5 ml] sugar in 4 ounces [120 ml] of water), …
What can I give my baby for upset stomach and vomiting?
Formula Fed Babies – Give Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) for 8 Hours:
- If vomits once, give half the regular amount every 1 to 2 hours.
- If vomits more than once, offer ORS for 8 hours. …
- ORS is a special fluid that can help your child stay hydrated. …
- Spoon or syringe feed small amounts.
What to do when a baby is vomiting?
How is vomiting treated at home?
- Stomach rest. Keep your child from eating or drinking for 30 to 60 minutes after vomiting. …
- Replacing fluids. Dehydration can be a problem when your child is vomiting. …
- Solid food. If your child is hungry and asking for food, try giving small amounts of a bland food. …
When should you take a child to the hospital for vomiting?
When to Call the Doctor
- Vomit has blood, dark brown specks that look like coffee grounds or is bright green.
- Vomiting gets more severe or happens more often.
- Your child shows signs of dehydration (Picture 3):
- No wet diaper or does not urinate (pass water) for 6 or more hours, very dark urine.
- No tears when crying.
What causes vomiting in infants?
Causes of vomiting in babies
gastroenteritis. a food allergy or milk intolerance. gastro-oesophageal reflux – where stomach contents escape back up the gullet. too big a hole in the bottle teat, which causes your baby to swallow too much milk.
How long does stomach bug last in babies?
How long does it last? Stay strong — most kids get over the stomach flu within 24 to 48 hours. Some children may have symptoms for up to 10 days.
Can Coke stop vomiting?
“Carbonation can help to reduce the total acidity of the stomach, which may help the nausea dissipate,” Dr. Szarka says. Because many people associate sweet flavors with contentment, a soda might further help bring that queasy feeling under control.
What to drink to stop vomiting?
Vomiting can be prevented by consuming small amounts of clear, sweetened liquids such as soda pop, fruit juices (except orange and grapefruit because these are too acidic) and popsicles. Drinks containing sugar calm the stomach better than other liquids. Rest either in a sitting position or in a propped lying position.
What is the first aid for vomiting?
Treatment for vomiting (regardless of age or cause) includes: Drinking gradually larger amounts of clear liquids. Avoiding solid food until the vomiting episode has passed. If vomiting and diarrhea last more than 24 hours, an oral rehydrating solution such as Pedialyte should be used to prevent and treat dehydration.