Infection can be dangerous during pregnancy as it can cause problems for unborn babies, such as hearing loss, visual impairment or blindness, learning difficulties and epilepsy.
What infections are harmful during pregnancy?
Some other infections that may be more serious during pregnancy include :
- the flu.
- hepatitis E, which is a typically mild viral form of hepatitis.
- herpes, including herpes simplex virus (HSV) and varicella zoster virus (VZV)
- Listeria, which can cause food poisoning.
What infection during pregnancy causes birth defects?
Precautions to Take While Pregnant
Toxoplasmosis, cytomegalovirus (CMV), varicella, rubella, and lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) are among the agents that are recognized to have the potential to cause birth defects in a developing fetus.
What can I take for an infection while pregnant?
Over-the-counter medications for treating yeast infections — available as creams, ointments or suppositories — include:
- Clotrimazole (Mycelex, Lotrimin AF)
- Miconazole (Monistat 3)
What can more serious infections cause to a fetus?
Changes in immune function may cause this increased risk of infection, and if left untreated, may lead to serious complications. Complications from severe infections during pregnancy may include preterm birth, low birth weight, birth defects, learning problems, and possibly pregnancy loss.
What happens if a pregnant woman gets an infection?
Infection can be dangerous during pregnancy as it can cause problems for unborn babies, such as hearing loss, visual impairment or blindness, learning difficulties and epilepsy. CMV is particularly dangerous to the baby if the pregnant mother has not had the infection before.
How can I clean my private part during pregnancy?
How Can I Keep My Vagina Clean During Pregnancy?
- Do use a plain unperfumed intimate wash for the vulva or the outer part of the vaginal region.
- Don’t use a vaginal douche(where water is flushed up the vagina), this can flush out the good bacteria and might actually raise the risk of an infection.
How do I know if my baby has an infection in the womb?
Symptoms and Causes
- High temperature and fever.
- Rapid heartbeat (the fetus might also have a rapid heartbeat)
- A uterus that is tender to the touch.
- A discharge from the vagina that has an unusual smell.
Can you tell if a baby has Down syndrome in an ultrasound?
An ultrasound can detect fluid at the back of a fetus’s neck, which sometimes indicates Down syndrome. The ultrasound test is called measurement of nuchal translucency. During the first trimester, this combined method results in more effective or comparable detection rates than methods used during the second trimester.
Which antibiotic is safe in pregnancy?
Here’s a sampling of antibiotics generally considered safe during pregnancy:
- Penicillins, including amoxicillin (Amoxil, Larotid) and ampicillin.
- Cephalosporins, including cefaclor and cephalexin (Keflex)
- Clindamycin (Cleocin, Clinda-Derm, Clindagel)